Friday, July 24, 2009

[Tech] Digital Media: Creators and Consumers

I have no real facts on the subject and I have not really done any true research in the area but I have developed a half baked theory on this topic. My theory is that there are three separate types of people when it comes to digital media: creators, consumers and the hybrids.

Creators
Creators are the artistic people. The ones who make the youtube videos, create the blogs everyone wants to read, the podcasters that do it for a living, etc. I envy these people in that they are going with it full force and I also thank them because I am not in this category. Generally I think these people are in the younger crowd who have grown up with this stuff just being second nature but by no means is that a rule. A lot of them also seem to be Mac people (especially the youtubers). These people also tend to learn by doing in my opinion.

Consumers
Consumers are those that sit back and watch. I identify with this crowd the most. We consume the content without adding anything to the conversation. Some may call it sloth but I sometimes think that I am just to busy trying to consume to create. I am trying to overcome that here. No one may read it but I am at least getting out the of box This group tends to learn more from observation and traditional lecture and reading format.

Hybrids
Hybrids are somewhere in the middle. They are neither exclusively creators or consumers but they do both. I assume this where the majority people who venture into this stuff are. These people are the true social media pioneers that both consume and contribute to the conversation. They seek to listen and to be heard. This is where I want to be and am struggling in this area due to my reclusive and private tendencies. Again, hence why I am here.

1 comment:

CourtneyC said...

I personally think I am creator but my blog is lame and will probably not ever be known around the world!!!

We, both know that me making a video is way beyond my technology knowledge!!!