Monday, July 20, 2009

[Leadership] Success

Our society has been increasing focused on the materialistic and on monetary gain to the extent that we have forgotten what it means to be happy. Instead of chasing our passion, our purpose or our true meaning we chose to chase the dollar.

The old cliché “money can’t buy you happiness” has never been truer. Statistics show that more and more Americans are sinking into depression due to financial troubles and more marriages are ending (and ending because of financial disagreement).

I have I always said that I would rather have just enough to get by and have my family and friends than have all the money in the world and be miserable. If following your heart and your dreams means missing out on dying a billionaire then sign me up.

Some may call this an idealistic point of view or that it is the delusion of optimism and does not follow reality but I disagree. If you are following your heart (and by principle, what God has planned for your life) then the financial will take care of itself.

Another old cliché is “do the job you love and you will never work a day in your life”. I think this also suggests that you can only be successful in something you do because you want to do, not just because you have to do it. Sure you can make a ton of money being a C-level employee at a company but if that is not where your heart is, can you really call that success? I guess it depends your priorities and how you define success. To me, being successful is doing God’s will and enjoying the blessing of family and friends he has given me.

No comments: