Friday, July 17, 2009

[Tech] Content Overload

So as an IT dude, I am starting to become entirely too overwhelmed with the different communication outlets out there. I simply can not keep up and my OCD tendencies do not help. I am the kind of person that has to have a clear inbox with no unread messages so you can imagine my frustration when my RSS feeds get updated, when I get a text message in the middle of a meeting, why the iphone is like a drug to me, or how unbelievable distracting TweetDeck is.

We live in a “now” society and I get that and I totally dig it but seriously it is starting to wear on me. My attempts to keep up with the political arena, the IT world, my religious readings, and my friends lives (via digital outlets) just does not all fit in my head. Below are just some examples:

Iphone
I use to criticize those with Iphones saying they were to connected and don’t turn off. While I am sticking with that basement I also confess that I love my iphone and I too now never turn off. This device is enables me to feed this craziness.

TweetDeck (Twitter)
I decided to start using TweetDeck when I started following more than 30 people and I couldn’t separate everything. I am a creature of habit and of organization so I, personally, need everything to be in its place. TweetDeck lets me do that. It also lets me see Facebook updates without logging into a separate application or client.

Facebook
I love facebook because it lets me see what everyone is doing. Most people that I know have not made the jump to Twitter and vise versa for the Twitter crowd (i.e. they are not big facebookers). There are still sometimes that I need to log into facebook for but TweetDeck feels like it is the solution for me for the time being since it does both.

Google Reader (RSS)
RSS feeds are killing me. I just can’t keep up with all of it with my clean desk mentality. I need a better solution in this area ASAP. I currently use Google Reader but if I miss a day then it piles up REALLY fast. I either need to change my thought process and concede that I just can not keep up will everything or find a different method (i.e. a junk folder that I only read when I get a chance).

Podcats
Same thing here as with RSS but instead it’s Itunes and not Google Reader.

So I don’t know about you but my mind is getting over stimulated with this stuff.

1 comment:

CourtneyC said...

I totally love my iphone to. I really love it to play Sally's Spa!!!!